This is a great recipe for any evening when you really wanted sushi, but just couldn’t afford it. You don’t absolutely have to have all the items in the list, but some of them certainly help. Enjoy!!
Ingredients: * denotes items that aren’t needs.
- Rice cooker – I have the Aroma Rice Cooker.
- Chop sticks – Walmart
- Sushi mat – Walmart
- Rice paddle
- Plastic wrap
- Soy Sauce
- Yum Yum Sauce
- Sushi Ginger
- Follow the directions for your specific rice cooker. Drew and I usually make 1 cup of rice boiled in a 1-1.5 cups of water. This serves 2 easily. 1/2 cup of rice per sushi roll.
- Allow the rice to cool a little — Drew often pops it into the freezer for a few minutes.
- If you want, put plastic wrap around the sushi mat. This will help keep the mat clean. Don’t wrap it too tightly; you need to be able to roll the sushi in the mat.
- Lay out 1 sheet of seaweed, smooth, shiny side up.
- If making multiple rolls, divide the rice accordingly. Smooth a portion over about 2/3rds of the seaweed sheet.
- Add your fillings — careful not to overload it. Especially the first time. It can be incredibly difficult to roll without any previous experience.
- Carefully roll the sushi.
- Before you slice it, rinse a sharp knife in cool water. Rinse again after each slice as this will keep the rice from sticking to the knife and stopping the cut.
- Dip in your soy & yum-yum sauces, top off with ginger. Enjoy!!